Sunday, March 1, 2009

Flipping the switch

I came to Christ very late in life, 50years old (and yes, another story on that later). So I am a young believer and even younger when I became involved in our Church's mission committee. At our Church the missions team is called the Global Outreach Team. We support several "Global Partner's" and have short term trips to various areas of the world. Our teams actually does thing a little different than other Church's. Our goal is to serve....that's it! We are there to lift up our Global Partner, make them the hero of the community. We go home but our Partner stays. None of what our team does is about us, it is about serving our Partner's and the community we are in. That's it. Oh yeah our life will change, but that is not the focus. We know and have faith that our Lord will work in us in ways we can't imagine....but that is not the expectation. The expectation is, a house will be built, medical services will be provided, food will be given and we will reflect the essence of Jesus....a servant!


At a meeting our team was having, our team leader (Randy) shared the reaction that our Senior Pastor had when he saw an interview between Pastor Bill Hybles and Bono. Though there are more links, I have put up 4 to get you started.
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilSef9kJapo
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvthfJVlnH8&feature=related
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO1EbQQmO08&feature=related
Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHm_NBstdzE&feature=related

This interview was centered around the HIV/AIDS and Debit Relief issues that are facing the people of the African continent. Randy also relayed that our Pastor was charging our team with the task of developing a relationship with an organization, Church, village or town or as Randy put it "just get in the game"! Well the horns blew, bells went off, a 4x4 hit me upside the head and the switch was flipped. I have been on fire ever since. On fire to help those that need the help the most. The dream that God put on my heart when I was 17 was now a battle cry!!

The most amazing part of this "just get in the game" challenge, is that God waited for me! God waited for me so I could do the work he has designed me for (He waited 39 years!!). As I look back, even as a non believer (but a believer of a "higher power") I can see God's loving and guiding hands all over my life. During these last few years God has lead me and been with me on some mighty wonderful events. Events that have raised tons on money, kept an Aids Bracelet Ministry alive, and has provided 1500 Aids Caregiver Kits to African Caregivers.

God has continued to refine and narrow my dream so that it can be a reality. That refinement that He has put on my heart is "to make a difference to the women and children of the African continent". The obvious questions I had (and have is) was HOW DO I DO THAT and WHAT WILL THAT LOOK LIKE (Yikes)!!!

So now I'm developing a Non-Profit organization called S.A.R.A.H. (Sparks African Resource Alliance giving Hope). I'll be traveling to Kenya soon to visit Kitale and the women and children. There are only two options regarding this trip....either I stay at home and concede victory to the evil one or I go to Kitale and let the God of the universe continue to work in me and through me.
He flipped the switch...I will obey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers