Monday, March 2, 2009

Gentle reminder

I wrote in my last entry that I believed serving was about just that, serving. I also said it was the essence of Jesus. But I forgot something very important. Service is also (and equally important) about relationships.

I was part of a team that went to Guatemala to build two homes. We were reminded often that it was about them and not about us. Well we built those homes and we all watched as our teams relationships with each other disintegrated. I was watching as it took place and I didn't say a word. I didn't say anything until we got back home because it was not about me and I didn't want to rock the boat. Well as you can guess our team and those relationships have not been the same since. What a waste!!

During coffee with a friend and his son this morning the issue of service came up. After I stated my thought I was gently reminded that service is also about relationships. It was one of those 2x4 moments that I needed and I am thankful that moment took place.

Yes, Jesus came to serve but he also came in relationship and community!!



Serving blindly will not happen again.

Thank you for the gentle reminder my friend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers