Thursday, March 5, 2009

\ˈten(t)-shən\

This is how Marion- Webster defines tension; (3) a: inner striving, unrest, or imbalance often with physiological indication of emotion b: a state of latent hostility or opposition between individuals or groups c: a balance maintained in an artistic work between opposing forces or elements.

So, is tension the force to create balance? As a friend of mine explained to me, there must be balance in a healthy relationship. Balance must be restored. Tension must be dealt with and rectified. I'm good with that, easy enough right? Easy enough until one must apply and face some very uncomfortable process's to restore that balance.


But that's not the tension I am writing about. The tension I am working through, and want to write about, is of the mind and of the heart. For example; I have read books that cause me to ponder a certain "Godly" view point. I will read other books that articulate another view point. As I listen to very knowledgeable people speak on a certain issues, I say WOW that's good, makes sense to me. I will listen to other people with an opposing view point and say WOW, that's good, makes sense to me. And all of these opinions are put forth with certainty and passion. I can read scripture only, but will I miss God speaking through another author? As I see the disgusting excess's of our culture everywhere, I also see the poor, marginalized and oppressed and ask, how is that possible? We are unhappy with our economy, our government, the war in the middle east and the environment But where are the protesters, where are the rallies that want to fight injustice just as my generation did? My mind, at times, wants to explode because of thoughts and ideas. But there are times when I want to just sit and do nothing. We do more communicating than ever, but we don't have meaningful conversations. So many are in a hurry, but where are they going? The world is about me they say, but they walk around lifeless. I would never wavier on certain social issues, and now I ask, I really used to think that way? I saw many things in black and white, but now it seems there is someone turning my color dial. I see so many walking around lifeless and I just wish I had more life to make a difference. My cynicism and skepticism can run wild, if only my tolerance and acceptance ran as wild. I want to feed and aid thousands, but I may feed and aid only one.


But I also know if a person is going to bitch about the problems, he is the problem unless he can offer a solution. So is that more tension, to be the problem or the solution? Good!

As you can see, I have some tension...and I thank God!!! It is so GOOD to have Gods transforming power working in and through me!! Romans 12:2 (NLT) Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers